Smoky Roasted Chicken and Corn Chowder
Recipe from Eat Shrink and Be Merry, p. 59
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1/2 cup each diced celery and diced red bell pepper
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (385 ml) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 can diced tomatoes (540ml), well drained
- 1 can (398ml) cream-style corn
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken breast (buy one of those roasted chickens from the grocery store to save yourself a lot of work and use the extra chicken for dinner the next night!)
- 1 tbsp hickory-flavored bbq sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook chopped bacon in large non-stick soup pot over med-high heat until lightly browned, but not crisp. Stir in onions, celery, red pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add thyme and flour. Mix well. Stir in broth and evaporated milk. Bring mixture to gentle boil and stir continuously until soup thickens slightly.
- Reduce heat to med-low. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionaly. Serve hot.
As you can see, this recipe is quite simple and quick to make. It is great served with some nice biscuits (you could make them from scratch if you're feeling ambitious - or just buy some nice buns from your local bakery!). More posts to follow over the next few days - I have so many things to tell you about from my vacation! In the mean time - keep on cooking and baking - would love it if you share some of your endeavours with me!