My favorite banana bread recipe is from a cookbook I received as a wedding present called The Best Bake Sale Ever written by Barbara Grunes. Its such a great cookbook - every recipe I've baked out of it has been a success. Any way, on to the recipe!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature (for a lower fat alternative, substitute 1/2 or all of the butter with unsweetened applesauce)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (to cut down on sugar, you can use splenda brown sugar in place of real brown sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3-4 very ripe bananas)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or omit this all together for plain banana bread)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray or grease a non-stick loaf pan (9x5 inch).
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter for a few minutes until it changes colour (should be almost white). Add sugars and continue beating until fluffy and light (about 2 minutes). Add the egg, beat well. Mix in the bananas. Beat in flour mixture. Add chocolate chips, raisins or whatever you're adding to the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in center of preheated oven for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto wire rack and turn right side up to cool completely.
This banana bread recipe is great! Be sure to use really ripe bananas - they blend into the batter nicer and also impart more flavour into the bread. While you're at it - double the recipe and make two loafs - you'll eat it all, don't worry! Enjoy!
Happy Baking my Friends!