Hey Friends! I'm back in the kitchen now that my exam is over and I am so happy to be here! Hopefully I'll post more regularly and have time to start tackling some cool dishes that I've been wanting to do for a while. I'll share everything with you as I go. :)
Want to eat the best salad of your life? Make this salad!!! Seriously the best thing ever. Plus, it plates up beautifully so your dinner party guests will be wowed by how "fancy" it is. While it is a bit of work because you have to make all of the components prior to assembling your salads, if you prepare the components the day before, then you just have to plate it up when your guests come over. Its an awesome dinner party dish.
All of the below recipes are from the cookbook No more Secrets - recipes from the Cow Bay Cafe by Adrienne Johnston.
First, make the spiced pecans.
- 3 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large pinch chipotle powder
- 1 1/4 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a 30 cm piece of foil on a flat, heat-proof work surface (I used my cutting board).
- In a medium bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, salt and chipotle powder. Add the nuts and mix well. Spread nuts on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 12-15 minutes, stirring every five minutes until golden brown.
- Spoon them onto the prepared foil and cool slightly. Quickly separate the nuts and cool thoroughly. Store in an air-tight container.
Next, make the blueberry dressing.
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- zest and juice of one lemon
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, place the blueberries, sugar, vinegar, cinnamon stick, ginger and lemon zest and juice. Bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes. Then remove from heat and cool. Refridgerate until ready to use.
- 1 small log goat cheese
- 3 tbsp tarragon vinegar
- fresh basil and tarragon
- Finely chop basil and tarragon. Combine goat cheese, tarragon vinegar and chopped herbs. Set aside in fridge.
Finally, assemble your salads when ready to serve (don't preassemble them).
- Toss mixed greens (approx 9 cups) lightly with olive oil, some kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Place a puddle of the blueberry dressing on a plate. Mound some of the greens onto the blueberry dressing.
- Place a few pieces of the herbed goat cheese and some of the pecans on top.
- Serve immediately.
Hope you enjoy this one!! We most definitely did. What's your favorite salad to make when you have dinner guests?
Happy Cooking my Friends!