The April 2011 challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded for the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at the Daring Kitchen.
This month's challenge was really interesting and really showed how creative the Daring Bakers' can be!
I'm not going to share the bacon bowl technique with you because I wasn't overly impressed with the results, but the maple mousse was so decadent that I must share that recipe. It is super easy so I hope if you're a maple lover that you will give it a try. Be sure to use a high quality maple syrup in this recipe (not maple-flavoured syrup) or you won't have the same results. One other tip I have for you: the maple mousse is very sweet so serve it in small portions (think shot glass size) with something a little salty on top. The salty will counter the sweet to balance out the flavours so perfectly.
Recipe provided by Evelyne of Cheap Ethnic Eatz
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 pkg unflavoured gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- Bring maple syrup to a boil then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and pour a little of the maple syrup in while whisking to temper your egg yolks.
- Add warmed egg yolks to the maple syrup and mix well.
- Measure 1/4 cup of the whipping cream into a bowl and sprinkle with the gelatin. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften the gelatin. Place bowl in the microwave and microwave for 45 seconds (taking out and stirring every 10 seconds). Whisk the gelatin mixture into the maple syrup mixture and set aside.
- Whisk occasionally for approximately an hour until the mixture has the consistency of an unbeaten raw egg white.
- Whip the remaining cream. Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the maple syrup mixture. Fold in the remaining whipped cream and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Remove from fridge and divide equally among any edible (or non edible) containers of your choice.