7.4.11

Oven-Fried Cod & Crispy Smashed Potatoes

I don't make fish very often... I never seem to cook it properly and I hate the way it makes my house smell for the rest of the evening. This recipe is different though! Get some fresh cod - apparently when fish is really fresh, it shouldn't smell fishy - and follow this recipe and you'll have a restaurant quality dinner that will leave you wanting to make fish more often! The panko bread crumbs result in a healthier but still crisp crust on the fish and the spicy mayo adds a bit of kick to the yummy fish. Oven Fried Cod & Crispy Smashed Potatoes Recipe from The Guy Can't Cook by Cinda Chavich Ingredients:

  • 4 cod loins (about 150g each)

  • 1/3 cup low-fat mayo

  • 1 tbsp dijon mustard

  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder

  • 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp garlic chili paste

  • 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice

  • salt & pepper

  • 1 cup japanese panko bread crumbs

  • 20-24 baby yellow potatoes, unpeeled

  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

  • coarse sea salt

Method:



  1. Preheat the oven to 500F.

  2. Stab the potatoes with a fork and boil in salted water for about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and place in a shallow baking dish. Add the olive oil and toss to coat.

  3. Press each potato with a fork until it is slightly flattened. Sprinkle the potatoes with the sea salt and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until crisp and golden.

  4. In a bowl, combine the mayo, mustard, garlic powder, chili paste, and lime juice. Stir to combine. eason with salt and pepper. Divide the mayo mixture in two, and reserve one half in the refrigerator.

  5. Place the panko on a plate. Coat both sides of the fish pieces in the non-refrigerated half of the mayo mixture, then dip them into the panko, pressing gently to cover the fillets entirely with crumbs.

  6. For easy clean-up later, place the fish on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Reduce the oven temperature to 400F, place the fish in the oven and continue to bake until the fish is crispy and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Serve the fish with the refrigerated spicy mayo and potato cakes.

Yum, yum, yum! Typing up this post is making me want to make this again... perhaps I can squeeze it into my culinary adventures this weekend... We will see! Coming up this weekend you can expect a recipe for a delicious homemade pizza crust and the best hummus you will ever taste! Stay tuned.


Happy Cooking my Friends!

1 comment:

  1. I hate that fish smell in my kitchen too! Makes me nauseous. I'll have to try and find some fresh cod so I can give this a try. I know my man would love it.

    ReplyDelete