Since I know you're busy and its a week night I will keep this post short! So - on to the recipe.
The Mushroom Thing
Recipe minimally adapted from The Girl Can't Cook
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 500g fresh wild and/or domestic mushrooms, sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- a bit of fresh thyme
- In a nonstick pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, until the garlic just begins to colour lightly (not brown). Add the onion and cook a minute longer, then stir in the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- If you are using any dried mushrooms in the mixture, cover them with cold water or white wine and microwave for 1 minute, then let them sit in hot liquid until they've rehydrated. Drain and combine with the fresh sliced mushrooms in the pan. Cook until the mushrooms give up their liquid and begin to colour, about 5-10minutes, then stir in the white wine. Cook until most of the liquid is gone.
- If using cream, stir it in now and continue cooking until the sauce is reduced and thickened. Season with the fresh herbs and serve with toasts or crusty bread. Makes approximately 2 cups.