26.1.11

The Daring Bakers Challenge - January 2011 - Biscuit Joconde Imprime/ Entremet

Since I joined the Daring Bakers in August I have constantly been amazed at the cool things we've made. I have conquered a number of culinary adventures that I never dreamed I would be able to complete. And then this challenge came along... it seemed so complex, so difficult, and as though I would never be able to successfully complete the challenge. I spent a few sleepless nights worrying about how this dessert would turn out...

The January 2011 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Atheroshe of the blog accro. She chose to challenge everyone to make Biscuit Joconde Imprime to wrap around an Entremets dessert. You should check out her blog for some beautiful entremets - she is so very talented and really did host an amazing challenge!


Now, despite being more terrified and stressed out about a challenge than I have been since I joined, I really enjoyed making this dessert and most definitely will try it again. I would love to perfect this technique - it is such a beautiful way to present desserts for special occasions and always leaves people wondering how you achieved such beauty in a dessert! I chose to make individual desserts as I was having a dinner party that weekend, so I figured I may as well make them. Even if they looked ugly, at least they would taste good!
I layered a no-bake vanilla bean cheesecake which I adapted from my mother-in-law's go-to cheesecake recipe, with a chocolate-kahlua mousse. I topped with sweetened whipped cream and a small piece of joconde imprime. I found the mousse to be far too rich for my taste, however my husband really loved it as did my dinner party guests, so I think this may just come down to my personal preference. However, I would highly recommend the no-bake cheesecake recipe (please see below for details).
Since this is going to be such a long post, lets get on with the instructions. Be sure to read through all the instructions prior to attempting this recipe!!!! Maybe read through them a couple of times... :)


Step 1: Make the Joconde Sponge

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp icing sugar
  • 1/4 cup cake flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 2 1/2 tsp white granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Method:

  1. In a clean mixing bowl whip the egg whites and white granulated sugar to firm, glossy peaks. Reserve in a separate clean bowl to use later.
  2. Sift almond flour, confectioners sugar, cake flour in the dirty egg white bowl.
  3. On medium speed, add the eggs a little at a time. Mix well after each addition. Mix until smooth and light. Fold in 1/3 of reserved egg whites to lighten the batter. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Do not overmix.
  4. Fold in melted butter.
  5. Reserve batter to be used later.

Next Step: Make the Joconde Paste to pattern your sponge:

Ingredients:

  • 14 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups + 1 1/2 tbsp icing sugar
  • 7 large egg whites
  • 1 3/4 cup cake flour
  • food colouring gel or paste

Method:

  1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add egg whites. Beat continuously. Fold in sifted flour. Tint batter to desired colour (colours).
  2. Pipe batter into desired patterns on a silicone baking mat placed on an upside down baking sheet.
  3. Slide the baking sheet with the paste into the freezer for 15 minutes until hard.
  4. Remove from freezer. Quickly pour the joconde batter over the design. Spread evenly to completely cover the pattern of the decore paste.
  5. Bake at 475F until the joconde bounces back when slightly pressed, approx 15 minutes. It will bake fairly quickly, so do keep an eye on it.
  6. Cool. Do not leave too long or it will stick to the mat.
  7. Flip cooled cake onto parchment paper dusted with icing sugar, remove silpat carefully. Cake should be right-side up with your pretty pattern showing.


Next Step: Prepare the Molds for the Entremets:

  1. You can use a spring-form pan, biscuit cutter, ring molds, or PVC pipe cut approximately 3 inches high.
  2. Lay a piece of parchment paper on a baking tray. Stretch cling wrap over the bottom of the mold and up the sides. Be sure to pull it tight so it creates a smooth base for your dessert. Line the inside of the ring with a curled piece of parchment paper. Cut the paper to the top of the mold as this will make spreading the entremet layers easier.

Next Step: Preparing the Joconde for the Molds:

  1. Trim the cake of any dark, crispy edges. You should have a nice rectangle shape.
  2. Decide how high you want your joconde wrapper. Traditionally it should be about 1/2 the height of the mold.
  3. Once your height is measured, cut with a ruler into nice even strips. Besure strips are cut cleanly and ends are perfectly straight.
  4. Press the cake strips inside of the mold, decorative side facing out. Push and press the ends together to make a beautiful seamless ring around the mold.
  5. The mold is done and ready to fill.

No-Bake Vanilla Bean Cheesecake

Ingredients:

  • 1 pkg light cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 envelope dream whip
  • 1 vanilla bean

Method:

  1. Beat cream cheese & sugar until smooth & fluffy. Stir in vanilla and vanilla bean seeds. Prepare dessert topping according to package directions. Fold into cream cheese mixture.
  2. Spoon into individual molds until cream cheese mixture comes up about 1/2 way to the top.
  3. Leave in fridge overnight to let cheesecake set. Then make the mousse.


Make the Kahlua-Chocolate mousse based on the mousse part of this recipe. Spoon on top of set cheesecake mixture and level the tops as best you can. Mousse should come all the way to the tops of each mold.

Serve by garnishing with whipped cream & chocolate shavings. Enjoy!

Wow! What a lot of work and a lot of steps! But it really was worth the effort. Despite not being perfect, they really were beautiful and so much fun to serve at my dinner party. Thank you so much Atheroshe for sharing such an amazing technique with us Daring Bakers. This challenge was oh-so-daring, but I learned so much and enjoyed every step of the way.


Happy Baking my Friends!

16 comments:

  1. I love your mini entremets. And the blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the idea of personalized Entremets for your guessed, they must have fely honored! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also afraid... but look at our entremets!! yours are so so sweet, excelent work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cut out sponge circles look beautiful all lined up like that - and the filling sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the initials - what a fantastic idea! They look so adorable. And I'm so going to try the no-bake cheesecake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They turned out beautifully! I had that same fear at the start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I wasn't the only person thinking this challenge was crazy. I really like the smaller-sized entremets; if/when I try to make these again, I think I'll definitely go for smaller ones. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really was a crazy challenge! I'm so proud to be part of the DBs - look at how hard everyone worked and how beautifully their desserts turned out. Thank you all for stopping by and leaving such kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colors you used for the joconde imprime! And the kahlua chocolate topping sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What do you mean "not being perfect"? They look fantastic! Well done, and love the sound of Kahlua mousse, even if it was rich :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha thanks Shaz!! I was really proud of them, but it is definitely very humbling to look at all of the amazing creations other DBs have come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was really a hard challenge but you were up to it. Loved the color choice and the entremet layers. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE that you individually decorated each of your entremets! That's so much fun! They look gorgeous. What a wonderful way to end a dinner party. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so right- this is one of those recipes that you must read through (a few times) before attempting. Your fillings sounds luscious and you did a great job on the pattern.
    Best- Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Personalized entremets?? Brilliant! I love the bright blue and how you decorated the top. Well done!

    ReplyDelete