I really enjoy the Classico Basil Pesto when I don't have time to make my own. Its flavourful and really reasonably priced in the grocery store. I know you're all busy and don't have time to read a rambling post, so I'll keep this one short and sweet. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. The leftovers are great tasting - it seemed like the flavours really married so nicely when the dish had a chance to sit overnight in the fridge.
Recipe from Canadian Living Everyday Favorites, p. 212
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 can (384 ml) evaporated 2% milk
- 2 tbsp basil pesto (or 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil)
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate.
- Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper; fry over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until no liquid from mushrooms remains, about 10 minutes.
- Add wine; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Whisk flour into evaporated milk; add to pan and cook stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in pesto.
- Return chicken to pan, turning to coat. Simmer until no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes.
- Serve chicken over cooked pasta with steamed veggies.
This chicken was delicious and with how easy it is to make, you'll be relaxing in no time. And maybe your husband will like it so much he'll offer to clean up afterwards... haha Yeah Right!! Don't hold your breath.
Happy Cooking my Friends!