"A good potato soup can warm you even on the coldest day, especially when its
topped with bacon and cheddar, just like a baked potato."
- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 1/2 lb yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated old cheddar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives or finely chopped green onion, for serving
- In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the leeks in the bacon fat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, chicken stock, and thyme. Cover the pot loosely, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree. Strain the soup through a sieve and return the pot to medium heat. Stir in the sour cream and season to taste.
- Serve the bowls of soup garnished with grated cheddar, the reserved bacon, and a sprinkle of chives or green onions.
This soup is absolutely divine and I love how simple the ingredients are! Try it with these cheddar cheese biscuits and you're set!
Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
Recipe adapted from Better Home & Gardens New Cook Book
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup grated old cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you like)
- Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in shortening til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Toss cheese with flour mixture. Make a well in the center, add milk all at once. Stir just until dough clings together.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured counter and knead gently for 10-12 strokes. Roll or pat dough out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet. Bake in 450F oven for 10-12 minutes until golden. Serve warm.
This is a delicious and comforting meal that will take the edge off the cold fall days! It doesn't really get much better than home made soup and biscuits - definitely the ultimate comfort food.
Happy Cooking my Friends!