30.10.10

4 Layer Pumpkin Cake


Since it's halloween weekend, I thought another post or two about some yummy things to do with pumpkin would be fitting. This cake received rave reviews from friends and family and I have to agree it is delicious. I didn't initially want to make it for a couple of reasons... but the main one being that it uses a package of cake mix. I don't like cake mix - I think its full of processed garbage that doesn't really belong in any one's mouth and I don't particularly like the taste of it. But after some convincing on behalf of my sister I decided I would try it out.


It really doesn't save you any time, but the recipe has so many other good things in it that you really forget you've put something from a box into the mix. So if you're skeptical after reading the recipe, take my word for it - it's delicious. This cake is even better after it sits for a night or two - be sure to make it a day ahead.
Luscious 4 Layer Pumpkin Cake
Recipe from Kraft Canada
Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
  • 1 can (14 fl oz/398 mL) pumpkin, divided
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, divided
  • 1 pkg. (250 g) Philadelphia Brick Cream Cheese, softened
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 3 cups thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
  • 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
  • 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans

Method:

  1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans (I used parchment in the bottoms on the pans instead of flouring them). Beat cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and and one tsp of the pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl until well blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
  2. Bake 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.
  3. Beat cream cheese in a small bowl until creamy. Add sugar, remaining pumpkin, and remaining spice. Mix well. Gently stir in cool whip.
  4. Cut each layer of the cake in half horizontally. Spread cream cheese frosting between layers. Do not frost top layer. Drizzle cake with caramel sauce just before serving and sprinkle with toasted pecans. Refrigerate leftovers.

This is definitely a great way to use up any leftover pumpkin! Tastes delicious and the ingredients are really basic. I hope you enjoy it and I promise, after this weekend, no more pumpkin desserts for a while!!!! Happy Halloween Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment