7.2.12

Crazy Cooking Challenge: The Ultimate Chocolate Cake!


Surpise!! I've joined yet another cooking and baking challenge group. I love these things!! You get to try new things with a supportive and encouraging group of fellow bloggers. You learn new things and get to have fun doing it. This time the challenge is the Crazy Cooking Challenge hosted by Tina of Mom's Crazy Cooking. She posts some amazing things on her blog, so I knew the challenges would be great too.
Photobucket

The Crazy Cooking Challenge is a new dish each month of which each participant can make their own rendition of for the challenge. For example, some of the past challenges have been Macaroni & Cheese, Fudge, Mashed Potatoes and Chocolate Chip Cookies. YUM!! This month the challenge was to make the ultimate chocolate cake. It didn't matter what we did to the cake (i.e. icing, decorating, filling, recipe), but it had to be chocolate and it had to be cake. How fun right?!

I was on Pinterest (I love followers, so feel free to follow the link and follow me on Pinterest) the other day and I saw this cake - Mint Chocolate Chip Cake. Ummmmmm thats so my favorite kind of ice cream!!! So, it was settled, I was totally making that for the Crazy Cooking Challenge. I found this recipe on Raspberri Cupcakes (along with dozens of other amazing looking recipes). She had adapted the chocolate cake recipe from David Lebovitz's Devil's Food Cake, so I knew it was going to be delicious.
Yep, this is a pretty ugly piece of cake. It was the only piece leftover after serving it to my guests and I realized that I had better take a photo showcasing the lovely chocolate inside of the cake to show that my recipe is actually CHOCOLATE CAKE in light of what this challenge is about!!!
So, here is my entry into the Ultimate Chocolate Cake Crazy Cooking Challenge! Mint Chocolate Chip Cake. It seriously tastes just like the ice cream, so if you're a fan (and probably even if you aren't), you'll love this cake!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cake
Recipe minimally adapted from Raspberri Cupcakes

Ingredients:

For the Cake:
  • 9 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-raising cake flour)
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup strong coffee
  • 1/2 cup cream
For the Frosting:
  • 280g + 1/3- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 4 cups icing sugar
  • 2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 150g dark chocolate chips, run through the food processor until finely chopped
  • green food colouring
  • waffle ice cream cones to decorate (minis if you can find them!!)
Method:
  1. Butter and line the base of a 9" springform pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350F. Sift together the cocoa, cake flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Using a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and the sugar for about 5 minutes or until very fluffy and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat after each addition until fully incorporated.
  2. Mix together the coffee and the cream. Stir half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Add the coffee-cream mixture. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean (be careful not to overbake). Remove from oven and cool in baking tin for 5 minutes. Remove from baking tin to a wire rack and cool completely.
  4. Prepare the mint icing: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat 280g of butter until fluffy and lighter in colour. Add the icing sugar one cup at a time and beat until smooth after each addition. Beat in additional butter (hence the 1/3 - 1/2 cup extra butter) until the icing is a nice spreading consistency. Beat in green food colouring until evenly distributed and coloured to desired green food colouring level. Stir through finely chopped chocolate until evenly distributed.
  5. Using a serrated knife, cut the cake in half to form two layers. Place one layer on a cake plate. Spread 1/4 of the icing on top of first layer of the cake. Then place the other half of the cake on top (trim top if necesary to get a nice flat surface). Ice the entire cake with the remaining icing. Use an ice cream scoop to make "scoops" of any extra frosting and arrange artfully on top of the cake. Top with the mini waffle cones.Can be served immediately or stored in an airtight container overnight. Serve at room temperature.
Mmmmm this was a deliciously moist cake and the frosting tasted so much like mint chocolate chip ice cream. It is a super cute cake that has a bit of a wow factor to it. I served it for a ladies get together at my house and it was a hit. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

This post has been linked up with Mouth Watering Mondays over at the Sweet Spot. Head on over there to check out some of the other mouth watering dishes fellow bloggers have cooked up this week. :)

This post has also been linked up with Fusion Fridays over at Jennifer Cooks. Head on over to check out her favorite submissions from last week and what other bloggers are linking up this week.


30 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! And I love the cones on top! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I had so much fun with this challenge. :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE IT! I participated in the Challenge for the first time this month. So much fun! Your cake def stands out with the green frosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie!! I thought the green would be a little different than most of the other cakes. :)

      Delete
  3. I love mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, my favorite always has been. I will be trying this soon, and I love your ice cream cones on top, cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan!! So glad you like it. Let me know what you think when you try it.

      Delete
  4. Cool idea! I made the Black Magic Cake w/ White Chocolate Buttercream Icing. Also, I would love for you to visit my new food blog, The Sweet Spot, and link up your recipes to my Mouthwatering Monday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped by to check out your cake - it looks fantastic. My post has been linked up to your link party. Thanks for hosting. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, your cake looks beautiful! I love the ice cream cones, such a great idea. -Kelly @ Semi Homemade Mom #57

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelly! I'm really happy with how it turned out! :)

      Delete
  6. Your cake is gorgeous! The cones are so cute, and I'll bet it is delicious. I love mint chocolate chip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good, and love the cones on top!!

    http://kaylasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/2012/02/black-magic-cake-with-pb-frosting.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the group! Your cake looks beautiful and delicious, chocolate and mint are so perfect together.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Double Chocolate Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I have checked yours out and it looks great! Such an interesting flavour combo. :)

      Delete
  9. This is so adorable. I love your photos. Isn't pinterest the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My hubby took all the photos - he's pretty wonderful. and I am obsessed with Pinterest!! It is awesome. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. I love the presentation of your AWESOME cake! Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen
    #7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm so happy with how it turned out. :)

      Delete
  11. Mint chocolate chip ice cream is one of my favorite flavors. This cake looks to have captured that taste perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comment. I honestly can't resist the mint chocolate combo. :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you!! I think the "ice cream scoops" and cones on top really make it fun. :)

      Delete
  13. LOVE the ice cream cones! The cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cones on top! What a tasty looking cake!
    Jen #79

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the ice cream cones on top!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the cake! It looks really good. I'll definitely will make this. My mom and granny will be really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent post! I would like to say thank you for this amazing well needed post. I’ll be visiting this website in future as well. I hope I can read such nice article in near future.

    ReplyDelete