Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk & Ginger
Recipe from Anna Olson's cookbook Fresh
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 6 cups peeled and diced sweet potato
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 1 - 398 ml can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash cayenne pepper or hot sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1/2 cup yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large saucepot over medium heat and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes to soften, but not brown. Add the sweet potato, 3 cups of the stock, the coconut milk, and the ginger. Simmer for 25 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Puree the soup with a handheld blender until smooth, adding the remaining stock if too thick, then stir in the lime juice, and strain through a sieve to make it more smooth. Return to the heat and season to taste, including the cayenne or hot sauce, if using.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro leaves and a swirl of yogurt.
And thats it! Nice and simple so you can make dinner in a snap and then go back to enjoying your long weekend!! I absolutely loved this soup and I hope you do too. Hope you've got lots of exciting (or relaxing) things planned for the weekend. I have a few culinary tasks to accomplish this weekend and hopefully some relaxation time too. :) :)
Happy Cooking my Friends!