Recipe from The Best of Fine Cooking - Party Food 2010
- 6 oz (1 1/2 cups) all purpose flour
- 1 oz (3/4 cup lightly packed) freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 1 generous tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 1/2 tsp coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, chilled
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- In a food processor, combine the flour, cheese, lemon zest, rosemary, table salt, and pepper. Process until just blended. Add the butter and pulse until the dough resembles coarse crumbs. Stir the yolk and lemon juice together with a fork and drizzle over the mixture. Pulse until you have small, moist crumbs that just begin to clump together.
- Pile the moist crms on an unfloured work surface. With the heel of your hand, push and gently smear the crumbs away from you until they start to come together in cohesive dough. Using a pastry scraper or metal spatula, lift up one edge of dough and fold it into the center (dough will still be rough, so don't expect a neat, smooth fold). Repeat withthe opposite edge, like folding a letter. Turn the dough 45 degrees. Give the dough another smearing and shape into 14 inch log thats 1 1/4 inches in diameter.
- Wrap in plast and refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours, or up to 2 days.
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of the oven and heat to 375F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment. Using a thin, sharp knife, cut the log into 1/4 inch slices. Arrange about 1/2 inch apart on prepared sheets.
- Bake until medium golden around the edges about 15-20 minutes. Rotating the sheets as needed for even baking. Don't overbake them though or you will lose the lemon and rosemary flavours. If you like, sprinkle with a little kosher salt just as baking sheets come out of the oven. Set sheets on racks to cool. When coins are completely cool, store in an airtight container.
Stay tuned for some more great recipes this week including a delicious Cranberry Pear Linzer tort! And the upcoming Daring Bakers Challenge which is released on February 27th. :) Can't wait!!!
Happy Baking my Friends!