- 1 1/4 all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp finely minced lemon zest, divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Combine one cup of the flour with the icing sugar, salt, half the lemon zest and the butter. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is fine and crumbly. Press the mixture evenly into the baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes until light golden.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of flour with baking powder and set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs with granulated sugar until doubled in volume. Slowly add the flour mixture, beating until just blended. Stir in lemon juice and remaining zest. Pour the filling over the warm crust, put on your oven mitts and put the hot dish back into the oven to bake for another 20 minutes, until the filling is just set.
- Cool on a wire rack. Lightly sift a layer of icing sugar over top, then cut into small squares to serve.
I hope you enjoy this simple and delicious recipe. Everyone really liked the squares and they would be great to bring along to a get together with your friends or family. Or if you need to whip something up at the last minute and don't have time to run to the store!! Hope you've had a fantastic weekend and are enjoying your Sunday afternoon. I know I am!
Happy Cooking my Friends!