Almond Apricot Scones
Recipe from The Guy Can't Cook by Cinda Chavich
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour (or wholegrain for a healthier option)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp diced cold butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sliced dried apricots
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1 tsp almond extract or amaretto liqueur
- melted butter for brushing
- sugar for dusting scones
- Preheat oven to 400F. In food processor combine flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and soda, and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer to large bowl and mix in almonds and apricots. Add buttermilk and almond extract and stir with a fork until dough just comes together.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and pat into 6x9 inch rectangle about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut into 3-inch squares, then slice each square crosswise to make 12 triangular scones.
- Set scones on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly brush tops of scones with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Transfer to cooling rack.
Enjoy these scones as part of your relaxing weekend! A great option for a healthy breakfast -they don't have much sugar or fat in them which is a nice change from the usual scone recipes which are loaded with sugar and fat. This recipe gets its decadence from buttermilk or yogurt which makes for a lovely scone! Hope you get a chance to try this recipe and enjoy it as much as I did!