Monday always seems to roll around far too quickly, but this week I'm happy to see it arrive - it means I'm that much closer to leaving on vacation on Friday! Woohoo! I seriously can't wait for a break from work and real-life responsibilities. Despite the anticipation I have for this week to begin and pass by, Monday still comes with the reality of needing a quick, nourishing meal to whip up for hubby and I after work. This Black Bean and Brown Rice Casserole is just thing! Comes together in under half an hour, its super healthy and oh so flavourful.
Black Bean and Brown Rice Casserole
Minimally adapted from Thrifty Veggie Mama
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (about 1 cup uncooked)
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes with basil (you may want to squish the tomatoes to break them up a bit)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup applewood smoked cheddar, shredded
- hot sauce to serve
- Combine all ingredients except the cheese and hot sauce and place in an 8x8 inch pan. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Drizzle with hot sauce to serve if desired. Sour cream would also be delish!
A super simple recipe that comes together so quick on a rushed weeknight. Hope you enjoy this as much as we did... leftovers disappeared quickly in our house!
Happy Cooking my Friends!