I decided to make Chelsy's Black Pepper Cornbread Biscuits (with a couple of my own twists!) and man were they delicious! Even hubby who swears he doesn't like anything with cornmeal loved them! If you click the link above you can find Chelsy's original recipe - its gluten free, so for any of you who like to cook/ bake gluten free or for those of you that must, do have a look! Otherwise, my non-gluten free take on the recipe can be found below.
Parmesan Cornbread Mini Biscuits
Recipe adapted from Mangia
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp prosciutto and chipotle sea salt (or regular is fine too!)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2-3 tbsp. finely grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a mini-muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (except parmesan). In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, water, eggs and honey. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until ingredients come together and are just moistened. Add a bit more water if necessary to get a muffin batter-like consistency.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin filling about 3/4 full. Sprinkle each mini muffin with a bit of parmesan. Bake in preheated oven for 10-11 minutes or until just set and golden on the sides and bottom. Let cool slightly then enjoy on their own or with a bit of butter!
These little guys would be delicious with chili or stew - awesome for dipping! Or just delicious for a little afternoon snack. Either way, do try them out - they come together in under half an hour and make the house smell great! Thanks Chelsy for an awesome recipe - I look forward to trying several more. :)