You can top off a great burger with carmelized onions, put them on baguette slices with yummy olives and goat cheese, use them on flatbreads or homemade pizzas, put them in omelets, or even with a simple pasta with olives and cherry tomatoes... the possibilities are endless! So what are you waiting for? Get chopping your onions and get started!
Recipe adapted from the Guy Can't Cook
- 3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced (can be white, red, yellow or a mix of all three)
- a couple tablespoons of olive oil
- a couple tablespoons of butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil and butter in a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and stir until they are coated with the oil/ butter mixture. Cover the pan and sweat the onions for five minutes. Remove the cover and saute until the onions begin to turn golden (see photo above) - if they are browning or burning, the heat is too high.
- Continue to cook until the onions are very soft and jammy, with a nice golden colour. Stir in the sugar and the vinegar and cook until the liquid is gone. Pile into a bowl and serve warm with bread, or put them in a container and refrigerate until you're ready to use them.
Happy Cooking my Friends!