30.9.13

Szechuan Pork and Veggies

Happy Monday Friends! I wasn't planning to share this recipe with you  this time around because it was my first time trying it out. Buttt.... people got really excited when I instgrammed a couple of pictures... so I decided I would share it with you. But you've got to bear with me - my pictures are just what I snapped with my iPhone and instagrammed. I will update this post with better photos when I make this recipe again (which I will be doing soon because it was so darn good I've been dreaming about it!).                                

                                
I adapted this recipe slightly from the Guy Can't Cook by Cinda Chavich. If you follow my blog regularly, you'll know that I LOVE the Guy Can't Cook and the Girl Can't Cook cookbooks. They're life savers with tips to easily and practically tackle tougher dishes to impress friends and family with your culinary prowess (even if you seriously lack in that area). Give them a go - you won't be disappointed! From consistent recipes, explanations for new ingredients, along with tips and tricks for newbies!

Szechuan Pork and Veggies
Recipe adapted from the Guy Can't Cook

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup canola oil, divided
  • 2 small zucchini's
  • 1 lb boneless pork loin chops, cut into thin strips
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp Asian Chili paste (or more depending on how spicy you like it)
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (I used seasoned rice wine vinegar)
  • 1 tbsp tamari
  • 1 tsp fish sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp hot curry powder
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into thin strips
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Method:
  1. In a wok, heat 1-2 tbsp of the oil over medium high heat. Cook chopped zucchini in batches until lightly browned, but not overcooked. Remove zucchini to a bowl and set aside for later. Season pork strips with salt and pepper. Add 1-2 more tbsp of the oil to the wok and add the pork. Cook it in batches until it is nicely browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside for later.
  2. Add a little more oil to the wok and then add the onion. Cook, stirring until starting to brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Combine the chili paste, tomato paste, broth, vinegar, tamari, fish sauce, brown sugar and curry powder and stir together. Add to the wok and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
  3. Return the pork to the pan, stir in the bell pepper and return to a boil. Cover the wok and simmer over medium heat for 30-45 minutes (sauce will thicken and develop a really rich taste). Add the zucchini and chopped cilantro. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve over rice.





                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment