Okay, so maybe the above pictured dish doesn't look all that appetizing... I believe one of my FB friends exact words were "this looks like something my cat would throw up". Thanks for that my darling friend! But in all seriousness, this isn't a pretty, stunning dish to make for your dinner party guests, but its a quick delicious and healthy weeknight dinner that will leave you with leftovers to eat for lunch the next day.
This dish is like fried rice, but with quinoa! I've also lightened it up, so its miles healthier for you than your typical fried rice.
Pineapple Fried Quinoa
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust depending on heat preferences)
- Place quinoa, chicken broth and water in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until quinoa is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add eggs and scramble til cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add sesame oil to skillet then add minced garlic and cook til fragrant - this will only take about 30 seconds. Add pineapple and stir for a few minutes. Next stir in cooked quinoa, eggs, cilantro, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Garnish with more cilantro and a drizzle of hot sauce if desired.
Quick and easy - you can have a week night dinner on the table in 30 minutes! A bonus is that is tastes delish and is super healthy for you too. For you meat lovers, add some cooked chicken or shrimp to this dish.
To make this dish vegan - omit the eggs and use tamari instead of soy sauce.
Happy Cooking my Friends!