29.5.13

Coconut Almond Bars


Howdy friends! How are you this fine, rainy Wednesday evening? I figured you might need a sweet chocolaty pick-me-up! I know I could. I made these quite a while ago and to be honest just never got around to blogging them. But I was flipping through pictures and noticed I had these lovely little shots my hubby took and I just had to share them with you!

This recipe is from one of my favorite baking books - Back to Baking by Anna Olson! I hope you enjoy as much as we did!


Coconut Almond Bars
Minimally adapted from Back to Baking by Anna Olson

Ingredients:

Base:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour
Filling:
  • 1 1/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 300 ml tin sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Topping:
  • 5 oz semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tbsp. butter
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper so paper comes up the sides.
  2. Melt butter and chocolate in a small pan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Then add egg and vanilla and stir til blended. Add flour and stir. Spread this mixture into the bottom of prepared an and bake for 10 minutes until it loses its shine. Cool while preparing the filling.
  3. For the filling, stir the coconut, almonds, condensed milk, vanilla and salt to combine. Spread over cooled base. Bake 25 minutes until light golden brown. Cool to room temperature before adding the topping.
  4. For the topping, melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave on low heat, stirring often.  Pour mixture over cooled filling and spread evenly.
  5. Chill the pan for about 2 hours to set the chocolate. Cut the squares while chilled, but then store and enjoy at room temp. I used a small round biscuit cutter to cut mine into cute little round shapes for a fun way to present them!


These bars have amazing chocolaty flavour, but they are a little on the sweet side! If you don't like super sweet treats, then these probably aren't the bars for you! If however you love a little sugar hit - get on making these right away to cure your mid-week blues!

Happy Baking Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment