I follow a great blog called Taking on Magazines written by "the Mom Chef" who is actually Christiane. Its a great blog with loads of delicious recipe ideas. Please check it out right now - I'll be here when you get back. :)
Any way, a while back she posted the recipe for these amazing cookies and I pinned it to try later. Later finally came when I made them a couple weeks ago. They were such a hit!!! Devoured eagerly and quickly that I barely had time to snap a couple of pictures. You've gotta try making them they are absolutely delicious and easy to make. In fact they might be fun to make with your kids if you have them - the kids could help with rolling them into balls and rolling them in the coconut (or nuts if you choose). It would be a fun kitchen project to take on.
Coconut Crusted Salted Caramel Cookies
Recipe adapted from Taking on Magazines
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- coconut for rolling
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 c water
- a few drops lemon juice
- 1c whipping cream
- First make the caramel sauce. Put the 1 2/3 cups of sugar into a very clean saucepan. Gently pour the water oer the sugar and add the lemon juice. Place pan over medium high heat with the lid on. Bring to a boil and let boil with lid on, removing and replacing the cover every so often. When all the water is boiled off, the sugar will be boiling with big bubbles breaking on the surface. The bubbles will gradually get smaller as the temperature rises. Remove the lid and pay attention now. The sugar will change colour - when it reaches a nice gold/ amber colour, remove it from the heat - don't let it get too dark or it will taste burnt. Add the cream carefully (it will bubble and steam like crazy). Have a wooden spoon ready and stir until well blended. Set aside to cool and thicken up a bit.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Beat together butter with 1 cup sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Add the flour a little at a time, then add the salt. Beat to combine.
- Roll dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Dip each ball in the egg, then roll in coconut to coat. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Press to flatten a bit, then use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of the cookie. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Repress indent with your thumb and then bake for another 9-10 minutes or until golden. Let cool on wire racks.
- When completely cooled fill indentation with a little of the caramel sauce, then sprinkle with sea salt.
Happy Baking my Friends!