My hubby was just in Winnipeg visiting his lovely Grandparents. They're the sweetest people and like his mom, they just love to give you little "gifties". Little gifts that don't really cost much and don't seem like much, but they're a little something to brighten your day, often for trivial occasions, or no occasion at all. This time Scott's Grandpa gave him a box of Mr. Big Snack Cakes that he had picked up last time he went to town. I laughed so hard when he brought them back home and thought, oh geez, what are we going to do with these? Well, inspiration struck! Might as well put them in a brownie. So that's what I did.
For this recipe, I adapted one of Anna Olson's recipes from her newest cookbook Back to Baking. Which is a pretty spectacular book (if you haven't already heard my praises for this cookbook, check out my post about me attending a cooking class hosted by Anna that demonstrated recipes from her book here)!!
Mr. Big Brownies
Recipe adapted from Anna Olson's Back to Baking
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 Mr. Big Snack Cakes
- 3 oz milk chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1/2 package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper so it hangs over the edges slightly.
- Melt the butter, chocolates, and instant coffee in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir in the sugars, then add the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
- Stir the flour, baking soda, and salt into the chocolate mixture, mixing just until blended.
- Pour half the batter into the pan (just until the bottom of the pan is covered). Top with the Mr. Big Snack Cakes. Pour remaining batter to cover the snack cakes. Smooth top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until the top of the brownies take on a dull finish. Cool completely in the pan before frosting.
- To make the frosting, melt the chocolate, butter, and instant coffee in the microwave, being careful not to burn the chocolate. Beat the cream cheese to soften in the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour in the melted chocolate mixture and beat until blended. Add icing sugar and blend. Remove the brownies from the pan and ice the top of the entire brownie. Let set for an hour before slicing.
These are some seriously delicious brownies! You've got to try them. :) Would probably work well with Wagon Wheels too!! Yah, I'm a little weird, but it works. :D Hope you've got lots to look forward to this weekend. I know I do! Its my Birthday and Mothers' Day on Sunday. So its going to be a good weekend. Wish I lived closer to my Momma though.
Happy Baking my Friends! Enjoy the weekend.