My sister discovered Southern Comfort eggnog in the US last time she was across the border - it puts all the Canadian eggnog I've tasted to shame. It is soooo smooth, creamy and flavourful. So, if you live close enough to the border, buy this special treat for this recipe - it will make a big difference in taste.
Eggnog French Toast
Recipe by Erin Reimer & Leslie Froese
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup eggnog (Southern Comfort eggnog if available)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of 1% milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 12 slices white bread
- Preheat griddle pan on the stove on medium-low heat (grease if using anything other than non-stick pan).
- Mix eggs and eggnog. Add milk to thin mixture out to desired consistency, adding up to 1/2 cup. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Dip slices of bread into mixture quickly, coating both sides, but not soaking through with mixture. Fry coated slices on both sides until nicely browned. Top with butter, icing sugar and syrup. Serves 5 people.
My Mom and I came up with this recipe this morning for breakfast and it was a big hit with our family. If you try it out, let me know what you think. Hope you're having a fabulous holiday with friends and family. I don't have to go back to work until the new year, so I'm enjoying my time of immensely.
Merry Christmas friends & Happy Baking!