1.7.10

Similkameen Valley Wine Trip - Wine Details

I know some of you have been waiting for this post! I have been meaning to post some information on the wines we purchased while on our trip the other weekend. We tried some excellent wines so I'll tell you about the best ones!

First up was a Pinot Rose from the Seven Stones Winery. It was a beautiful winery and I think I thoroughly enjoyed all of the wines we tasted! The winemakers wife was there when we arrived and promptly greeted us outside and took us around back to show us the phenomenal view! What an incredible place. Here is a picture of the view - you have to see it! Back to the wine we bought though! The Pinot Rose lovely - crisp and dry and perfect for summer! The tasting notes at the winery said the following:

Defined by its room-filling aromas of grapefruit and strawberry, this Pinot Rosé
embodies the true essence of the classical Rosés found in the south of France. A
vivid mouth-feel reveals the delicate balance of citrus and exotic fruit
flavors, pleasing natural acidity and a crisp dry finish.
You could definitely detect the grapefruit and strawberry aromas after swirling your glass!


Next we headed over to Oliver, BC where we went to the Burrowing Owl Estate Winery. An absolutely lovely vineyard complete with a famous bistro (the Sonora Room) and guest house. I dropped some very "subtle" hints to hubby that I would love to return for a weekend and just stay here! I enjoyed a few of the wines we tried here - particularly the Pinot Noir and the Syrah. We purchased a bottle of the 2008 Pinot Noir (it sure didn't last long once we brought it home, in fact I didn't even get a chance to take a photo before consuming the wine and discarding the bottle!! A lovely wine with soft delicate flavours and very easy to drink.

The next day we headed over to the Crowsnest Vineyards winery. Though it was hard to choose, I think this vineyard was my favorite of the weekend. I LOVED every single wine we tasted at this place! The fellow who was serving us in the tasting room was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. I couldn't decide between the Chardonnay and the Riesling so we ended up purchasing both! Also to note - this winery had the most reasonable prices of all of the wineries we visited. The two wines we purchased were - the 2007 Riesling Family Reserve & the 2008 Stahltank Chardonnay. Tasting notes on the winemakers website note that the Riesling has distinct notes of green apple and stone fruit with a crisp acidity. They also note that the Chardonnay is un-oaked with a very soft acidity, "creamy and fruit forward, refreshing yet not too crisp". I would recommend stopping in to purchase some of their wine - I personally can't wait to go back!




Overall I would say it was a pretty successful wine tasting weekend - I can't wait to spend some more time in this area in August! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment