21.11.11

Jane's Yummy Bread for SRC!

 Secret Recipe Club... what a great thing! I look forward to it every month and agonize over what I'm going to make. This month I was assigned Jane - Adventures in Dinner. Jane is a teacher and a mother, so you know what that means! She is busy. I am always so amazed at women who have a family and a career and a blog... I mean, its enough work to have a family or a career, but do it all at once, then add a blog to that? Wow! I'm impressed!

And I was even more impressed as I started browsing through recipes on her blog. I settled on this amazing looking bread that Jane actually made because the rosemary potato loaf at the store cost almost $7 per loaf. I can't blame her for wanting to make her own - especially because this recipe was so delicious. Oh, and did I mention how easy it is? You can make this delicious bread in under two hours. Woot!

Rosemary Potato Bread
Recipe adapted from Jane - Adventures in Dinner

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp quick rise yeast
  • 2 cups warm water, divided
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 small white potato, sliced paper thin
  • coarse salt
  • fresh ground black pepper
Method:
  1. Combine the honey, yeast and one cup of the warm water in a bowl. Mix together gently and let stand 5 minutes until the mixture is frothy. Add the olive oil and the remaining cup of warm water. Add the flour and mix together until dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough together lightly until it comes together into a smooth ball. Cover with the mixing bowl and let rise for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350F. Pat the dough out into a rectangle or whatever shape you like. Drizzle generously with additional olive oil and poke holes with your fingers at regular intervals in the dough - this will give the oil somewhere to settle while the dough proofs. Let the loaf proof for 15 minutes.
  3. Arrange the potato slices and then sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper (use lots of pepper). Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!
 Thanks Jane for such a delicious and easy recipe. It looks really impressive and would be great to serve to friends and family when they come to visit. It is a light, chewy bread with nice crispy edges. :) Do head over to Jane's blog and check it out when you have a minute - you're sure to find lots of inspiration on what to make for dinner and lots of interesting posts to read.

 If you're interested in joining the Secret Recipe Club, or just want more information, head on over to the great new SRC website and check it out. SRC is a great group of people who are passionate about cooking and baking and connecting with other bloggers. Thanks to Angie - Group C's fearless leader and organizer - I know its lots of work to get everything together and remind all of us delinquents who like to prepare and schedule their posts the night before they're due... Thanks for putting up with people like me Angie!!

Happy Baking my Friends! Hope to see you back soon. :)

11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the lovely write-up, happy new follower. So glad you got my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely recipe. You got a great one for SRC. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's unbelievable how much the price of bread is going up. I'm always up for trying new bread recipes - will give this one a try! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your kind comments everyone. What a great month for SRC!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! This looks so much better than any gourmet bread you can find at the store! It turned out beautifully! I love that there are actually potatoes on this potato bread! Your kitchen must have smelled like heaven while it was baking! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne - thank you!! Any my whole house smelled divine while I was making this bread. My husband kept asking how soon he could eat it :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! Great pick for SRC ... I'm adding this to my "to make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kimberly! Hope you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks amazing! I will definitely be trying this1

    ReplyDelete