17.10.11

Puffy Apple Pancake... you know you want it!

 I woke up Sunday morning wanting something warm and hearty for breakfast. This doesn't happen to me very often, but typically it strikes when the weather is cooling down and I'm craving some comfort food. I didn't feel like slaving in the kitchen before I'd had time to wake up, so I flipped open one of my beginner cookbooks and found this recipe for Puffy Apple Pancake. It sounded intriguing, I had all the ingredients, and best of all it sounded easy! I was sold.

Julie Van Rosendaal, author of Starting Out had this to say about the recipe:

"This spectacular looking pancake is similar to a big Yorkshire pudding or popover - baked in the oven, with or without sauteed fruit, it rises up all puffed and crunchy around the edges. Although it's traditionally made with apples, a puffy pancake is also perfect made with pears, bananas, peaches, berries, or plums. Sturdier fruits can be sauteed first and baked right into the pancake or set aside to be served atop. Fragile fruits like berries or bananas are better served in the hollow of the finished pancake, which rises even more dramatically when the batter is baked alone."

Intrigued yet? Thought so. Hungry? I knew it! Here's the recipe:

 Puffy Apple Pancake
Recipe adapted from Starting Out

Ingredients:
  • 2 apples
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • maple syrup for serving (optional)
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 450F.
  2. Peel, core and slice the apples. In a large skillet, saute the apples in nbutter over medium heat for a minute or two. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and cook until they start to turn golden. Remove from heat.
  3. Whisk together the eggs, flour, and milk. Don't worry if there are some lumps left. It will still taste good! Pour apples into greased pie plate, then pour the batter over top.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until the pancake is puffed and golden. Cut into wedges and serve drizzled with maple syrup. Serves 2-4 people (mine served 3 people perfectly).
I hope you enjoy this one friends! It is the perfect autumn weekend breakfast.

Happy Baking my Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment